Domestic Violence Defense Attorney in Boulder
What to Do After Being Charged with Domestic Violence in Colorado
In Colorado, domestic violence carries a number of serious, lasting consequences that, if not handled properly, can result in additional legal problems for the accused. After an individual is arrested for domestic violence, they are automatically prevented from contacting the alleged victim with a mandatory restraining order. Any contact, including third party contact with the accuser, can result in further consequences. Additionally, because prosecutors will often pursue these cases even after the accuser drops charges, it's important that you understand your rights.
If you have been charged with or arrested for domestic violence in Colorado, it's wise to do the following:
- Remain silent – Prosecutors can and often will use anything you say at the time of your arrest against you later on.
- Do not contact the alleged victim – Violating the automatic mandatory restraining order can result in further penalties. This includes calling, texting, or emailing the accuser.
- Do not accept attempted contact from the alleged victim – Even if the accuser is calling you, making contact can result in your bond being revoked.
- Seek legal assistance from an experienced attorney – Having a seasoned domestic violence lawyer in Boulder on your side who understands the law can be invaluable to the strength of your case.
Domestic violence charges can have a great impact on your future; they can impact your employment, your ability to obtain housing, your relationships with children and other family members, and your overall quality of life. Without competent legal representation, you stand to lose much more than just your freedom.
Even if the accuser later changes his or her mind, or even claims that the abuse never happened, it's possible that the charges against you will not be dropped. In fact, only the responsible prosecuting attorney can decide whether or not to move forward with the case. In many instances, prosecutors will choose to proceed with a case even when the accuser is uncooperative.
Schedule your free initial case evaluation with our firm today! Call (720) 999-9506 to get started.
Barre M. Sakol, P.C. Domestic Abuse Legal Counsel
If you have been accused, our firm can offer you the skilled legal representation you need. Our criminal defense attorney is prepared to help you fight for your rights and avoid the many negative consequences of these serious accusations. With more than 40 years of legal experience, we are well equipped to assist you throughout the entire legal process, offering open accessibility and honest communication from start to finish.
Why Choose Our Firm?
- At Barre M. Sakol, P.C., we not only have an in-depth understanding of criminal law, but family law as well.
- Our Boulder, Colorado criminal defense attorney understands the complex relationship between the two and uses this in order to create a strong defense on your behalf.
- Barre understands that every situation is unique, which is why he is committed to providing you with the personalized legal guidance you need and the strong representation you deserve.
- We can help you understand your options and work to defend your freedom and your future.
Contact Barre M. Sakol, P.C. at (720) 999-9506 or complete our online form to schedule your free initial consultation with our Boulder domestic violence attorney.